[Opensim-dev] How Was OpenSim "Born"?

Mark Malewski mark.malewski at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 04:24:05 UTC 2010

*> **That is true there should be no reason to have patents for stuff *
*> that shouldnt be there but if you dont you got pigs stealing*
*> everyones food.*

It's a dog-eat-dog world.  If you haven't figured out how capitalism works,
that's part of life.

Do you think the Chinese care about U.S. patents?  <Rolling my eyes>

It's a global market, and we can't compete (because of our own silly laws).

Heck, the Chinese even bring their reverse engineered products back to the
U.S. and begin filing patents of their own (claiming to have "improved" the
product that they reverse engineered, and stolen) and now they have a valid
patent (a utility patent) and they're selling their "patented" products, and
it's just another slap in the face to American engineers.

It makes no sense at all.  The whole system is completely broken, just do
away with it.  5 year limits, after that... it's public domain.

5 years gives the competition plenty of time to improve upon your idea, and
come out with a product of their own.  So if you want to stay in the market,
you better bring your "A-game" and continue to develop and improve your
product (and make sure that it continues to be the best product out on the
market).

Increased competition, lowers prices.  If you had 20 cable providers to
choose from, you certainly wouldn't be paying $50-$150/month for cable
television, or $60 for a slow DSL connection (simply because there are no
other choices other than dial up).  Increased competition drives down
prices, and breaks up the large monopolistic enterprises (i.e. Microsoft,
etc.)

OpenSource Projects help create affordable alternatives (i.e. Open Office,
Linux, MySQL, Apache, OpenSim, etc.)  Look at the quality of most open
Source projects, and you'll see that Open Source really is a viable
alternative, and community projects and Open Source software (and open
standards) are good for society.  I've seen many OpenSource community
projects give large corporations a run for their money (as far as developing
high quality products).  Firefox beats the pants off of any browser that
Microsoft has ever developed.  Apache is still much thinner, and performs
just as well (if not better) than IIS.  Compare the number of crashes on a
Linux system to the "Blue Screens of Death" that were quite common on
computers during the 1995-2004 era.  Just compare the stability of a Linux
distro to Microsoft's Windows Millenium Edition.  ;-)

You could donate an old computer to some hungry third-world kids in West
Papua, but they couldn't even afford to pay Microsoft's crazy licensing fees
just to turn the computer on.  Open Source is a good thing, it gives people
alternatives.

               Mark