[Opensim-dev] Naali UI research

Aldon Hynes Aldon.Hynes at Orient-Lodge.com
Sat Feb 13 22:43:15 UTC 2010

I'm pretty excited about the Naali work.  I've got a Nokia N900 cellphone.  The screen is 800x480 pixels on a 3.5 inch screen.  It has touch and an accelorameter.  More importantly, it is a pretty nice unix development environment.  I hope to try a port soon, and I'm interested in efforts that anyone else might be doing with porting Naali to work on mobile devices.

Aldon
  -----Original Message-----
  From: opensim-dev-bounces at lists.berlios.de [mailto:opensim-dev-bounces at lists.berlios.de]On Behalf Of Rich White
  Sent: Saturday, February 13, 2010 3:16 PM
  To: opensim-dev at lists.berlios.de
  Cc: realxtend at googlegroups.com
  Subject: Re: [Opensim-dev] Naali UI research

  For more touch screen and 3D virtual environment UI see the Edusim project at HTTP://edusim3d.com Ala Immersive touch

    On Feb 13, 2010 2:12 PM, "Mark Malewski" <mark.malewski at gmail.com> wrote:

    I really do love the idea of having a nice navigation UI that can either be used with a touchscreen computer, and/or a wireless XBOX 360 remote.  Apple has always done a great job with UI's, and it looks like Naali is doing an excellent job of bringing a great new UI to OpenSim/RealXtend.

    Could we add a "toolbar" option (that can be enabled/disabled under the options menu? and also have a "enable toolbar" checkbox, and also a "hide toolbar" checkbox so it will turn the toolbar on, but hide it unless you move the mouse over the top portion of the screen and then the old legacy toolbar will 'drop down' for those users that still want an old legacy-type toolbar navigate).

    Me personally, I love icon-based navigation (and touchscreen-type navigation).  I think it's the wave of the future, but some older people (like my mom have a hard time with newer UI's and she still likes having that old legacy toolbar available).  So it would be good to have both.  Have the new UI (as the default) but have a "classic view" and/or "enable toolbar".  I'd like to have the new UI look, plus have the old legacy toolbar (in a drop-down fashion) turned on.  That way I can use the newer UI, and my mom or family can use the drop down toolbar (at least until they can learn or get used to using a newer UI).  It took my mom 4 years just to get used to using an iPod UI (and I had to buy her an old shuffle without the touchscreen with just a next track, previous track, and volume buttons because she couldn't figure out how to use the UI on the newer iPods).

    So I'd vote for both (an old legacy toolbar that can be enabled/disabled so it can be ALWAYS ON toolbar at the top, and it can have the "enable" or disable checkbox, and also have a "hide toolbar" checkbox so it can be enabled, but also with a "hidden" drop down type appearance).

                    Mark