[Opensim-dev] How Was OpenSim "Born"?

Tedd Hansen tedd at nimbustech.no
Fri Feb 12 08:28:16 UTC 2010

Hi

Actually the patent system should work fine and encourage innovation. It
*should* have a block against patenting things that are a natural evolution
of existing technology.

Sadly, as with all things, the US justice system seems to allow any party to
sue any part for anything and I think that has rubbed off on patenting
(imho). Now companies are patenting everything just to avoid getting sued.
We see examples of this in IBM, Microsoft, etc where they patent it just to
release it to everyone. (Anyone remember the MS-patent for "Dynamic loading
and binding of modules" I found researching for script engine? ;) )

Doing some researching for a patent here in Norway a few years back I found
that it was near impossible (here) to get a patent unless what you made was
revolutionary new. Anything that would be considered the next step was not
enough for a patent.

Br,

 Tedd