[Opensim-dev] personal plea on patents

Frank Nichols frank at thenichols.net
Wed Feb 3 19:23:40 UTC 2010

It's too late for that - and as someone pointed out, intentionally
breaching a patent qualifies for triple damages. Attempts to "code fast"
before the patent is issued would be interpreted as exactly that.

Unfortunately, the ball is in the patent office's court now. Prior art
can be submitted in hopes that the patent applications will not be
approved, but other than that the way forward - assuming the patents are
issued - is a painful process of finding ways to implement OS without
infringing, and of course you will never know if you are successful
until the matter is settled in court.

This is a sad day for all the people that have invested so much time and
work and passion into OS.

Frank