[Opensim-dev] Friends in trouble

Stefan Andersson lbsa71 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 1 10:59:25 UTC 2010

Esteemed fellow metanauts,

Today I read this disturbing post;

http://blogs.sun.com/wonderland/entry/good_news_and_bad_news

Basically, the SUN Wonderland seems to be losing SUN (now Oracle) support.
They now need to transition into a community-driven effort.

This prompted me to add the following comment to the blog post:

"Sad Tidings in deed. I don't know if any of you have been following the
OpenSim project, or been in touch with it, but maybe this is an golden
opportunity to seek inter-project collaboration. The OpenSim community has
worked without a central organization backing it up since the beginning, so
I guess we have some experience working the way I guess you need to do.
Since we have no central organization, nobody can speak for it, but most of
us are nice people, always eager to help a fellow metanaut. (on an unrelated
note, I for one would love++ to see a wonderland stack for OpenSim.)"

While nobody can tell nobody what to do I personally think the OpenSim
community should do our outmost to help and support this sibling project.
Contrary to the beliefs of many, the field of virtual worlds are nowhere
near the maturity where we can stand the consolidation-by-biting-dust that
we have seen recently. There will be no thousand worlds blooming.

Incidentally, I have for some time been thinking that it might be timely to
start thinking about how OpenSim would be able to support the architectures
of client-oriented environments (like Wonderland and Unity) better.

Best regards,

/Stefan