[Opensim-dev] HG Versions and Changes

Diva Canto diva at metaverseink.com
Sun Dec 12 16:13:37 UTC 2010

On 12/12/2010 2:26 AM, Ai Austin wrote:
> The "interface" numbers I was referring to was something in a commit a
> while ago which meant HG1.5 grids that previously could interoperate
> stopped being able to do so.  kidd peko of "The Hypergates" started
> referring to HG1.5 i6 and the newer HG1.5 i7 grids to help testers and
> those interoperating know which sub-set they were in.

OK, thanks for the clarification about where these numbers come from. I
understand the intention, but this numbering is misleading and,
essentially, incorrect when it comes to HG. Let me clarify.

We have been using "interface version numbers" to refer to
communications between simulators and their central services *within*
grids. We introduced these numbers mainly because of OSGrid, where the
central services are run by one group of people and the simulators are
run by others, and therefore the software upgrades are not coordinated.

The HG uses some of the communications that are used within grids, and,
as such, when these interface numbers change, it usually means that HG
between grids in different interface numbers may stop working. I say
"usually" but not "always"; it really depends on what changed, because
the HG uses only a subset of the grid communications. In the case of the
bump from interface 6 to 7, it affected the HG, because of the way
appearance is handled. (appearance handling is done in exactly the same
way intra- and inter- grids)

However, HG introduces a whole new set of communications that doesn't
exist within grids. And, so far, there hasn't been any number for
denoting this new set of comms, other than HG 1.0 vs. HG 1.5. As far as
I know, no changes within the HG 1.5 series have introduced backwards
incompatibilities. So if things don't work between grids in interface
number 7, they are bugs that can be fixed, if the situations are
properly reported.

HG version numbering doesn't exist yet, just like archive version
numbers haven't been put to use yet. Now it's about time that we start
introducing these version numbers. Justin is doing some of that for
archives, I'll try to do it for HG too.