[Opensim-dev] HG Versions and Changes

Ai Austin ai.ai.austin at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 10:26:54 UTC 2010

Diva Canto wrote:
>First, let me just state upfront that I have no idea what interface
>numbers mean. I haven't used them, and since there have been no
>releases, I'm not sure what these numbers mean. Is this the grid-wide
>interface number? If so, HG compatibility is correlated with it, but but
>HG involves a lot more than intra-grid comms and needs its own
>In general, when ppl test developers code, you *must* expect that things
>will *not* work. Many times things break by accident, and we fix them a
>few revisions later; other times they break on purpose, and that's when
>we warn people.
>
>When things are supposed to work, and don't, that's a bug. Please report
>bugs as usual! -- but using revision numbers, not these interface
>numbers.  Thanks!

All noted and understood Diva.

For recent reports, I am reporting for Openvue grid using
opensim-tree-d056afb...  2010-12-10  r/14628 0.7.1 dev master

The folks doing these tests are I believe all VERY aware we are using
bleeding edge revisions and will take care to allow for reversions to
earlier data bases, etc.  The upgrade of OSGrid to versions of the
0.7.1 dev master branch code rather than the stable 0.7.0.2 release
available at that time I think has meant the testing got speeded up
somewhat a well, but has meant that there is a mish mash of
development and stable versions around... which makes trackign down
genuine recent version errors tricky.  But we now have a number of
incomparable grids/standalones again on the latest version from 0.7.1
dev master so can look for genuine new bugs in those.

The "interface" numbers I was referring to was something in a commit
a while ago which meant HG1.5 grids that previously could
interoperate stopped being able to do so.  kidd peko of "The
Hypergates" started referring to HG1.5 i6 and the newer HG1.5 i7
grids to help testers and those interoperating know which sub-set they were in.

See some of his notes at:
http://thehypergates.com/content/outbound-hypergrid-jumps-osgrid-still-broken

Hopefully we can stabilise this and sort out the OSGrid
interoperability issues when 0.7.1 becomes a RC and then the
recommended stable release.