[Opensim-dev] Serving textures in different formats

Diva Canto diva at metaverseink.com
Thu Dec 9 04:03:25 UTC 2010

I pushed the changes that allow clients to request textures in all sorts
of mime types. You can do it both with an extra query parameter or with
the Accept header, although I haven't tested the Accept header route
yet. But the extra parameter is working and it's really easy to test. To
test on a web browser do this:

Boot up a sim. Login with the SL viewer. Notice the debug messages
related to the GetTexture cap, like this:
18:45:52 - [GETTEXTURE]: /CAPS/4f56a644-e8ca-4218-bbfc-f4a2eb91facf in
region Kali Test

While you're logged in, pull up a web browser and point it to
http://<wherever>/CAPS/4f56a644-e8ca-4218-bbfc-f4a2eb91facf/?texture_id=<some
valid texture uuid>&format=png

You can grab texture ids from debug messages too.
Voila!

I'm doing the conversion exactly like the MapModule does it. I'm not
entirely knowledgeable of all the options for these conversions, so if
someone has better suggestions, let me know.