[Opensim-dev] Serving textures in different formats

Mike Chase mike.chase at alternatemetaverse.com
Wed Dec 8 16:24:11 UTC 2010

On 12/08/2010 10:36 AM, Diva Canto wrote:
> So far, all textures in OpenSim are stored and served as jp2. However,
> some viewers can't use jp2. Example: Unity3d, for the time being. I
> would like to improve the GetTexture cap service by adding the ability
> for it to make conversions on the fly depending on extra data provided
> by the caller.

Personally I prefer neither.  Doing format conversions on the client
(rather than the server where the overhead affects all the users) seems
more appropriate to me.  IMO standardizing on a single format from the
server and then letting the client do a format conversion where thats
necessary is the better solution.  Alternatively you could push the
conversion off to a separate service. But again, that implies the core
code doesn't need to address it.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike