[Opensim-dev] OpenSim 0.7 Release Candidate with ALL working OpenSim Modules

Joshua Garvin jkaldon at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 23:28:22 UTC 2009

Mark's comment wasn't very well organized or thought out.  It was basically
just an explosion of his frustration with OpenSim.

But that doesn't mean that he doesn't have a few good points hidden in
there.

I believe that looking at most other software projects in the world, you
would find that "core" or "base" products did not come into existence in a
vacuum.  They were developed with a specific end product in mind that solved
an immediate need and/or desire.  The developers of the end product most
likely worked heavily on the core products. The effect of that end product
was the world getting to see how great the technology is.  Once people see
the possibilities your core provides, they will build other great products
from it.

I don't intend to say that the first end product has to share a repository
with the core code.  Just that there needs to be an end product being work
on by core developers.

Do you need to include _every_ module in your releases?  No.  But you have
to do whatever it takes to make using the most common modules as easy as
possible.  If half or even a 5th of your potential users want module X, then
it's fairly important that it's easy to install without knowing c#.

You can do all of this the other way around -- but you're only hurting your
own popularity.

Be excellent to each other and party on dudes!
- Joshua
Joshua Garvin