[Opensim-dev] OpenSim 0.7 Release Candidate with ALL working OpenSim Modules

Frisby, Adam adam at deepthink.com.au
Wed Sep 30 22:48:04 UTC 2009

tl; dr.

Adam

From: opensim-dev-bounces at lists.berlios.de [mailto:opensim-dev-bounces at lists.berlios.de] On Behalf Of Mark Malewski
Sent: Wednesday, 30 September 2009 3:45 PM
To: diva at metaverseink.com; opensim-dev at lists.berlios.de
Subject: [Opensim-dev] OpenSim 0.7 Release Candidate with ALL working OpenSim Modules

Diva,

>> It would just be nice to get everything integrated back into core (or as
>> OpenSim modules).
>
>This would be terrible.

Diva, please explain WHY would having a working OpenSim distro be terrible?  Having something that actually "works" is terrible?  In my opinion, just the opposite is true.

You can spend your whole life developing things (that no one actually uses, and that don't actually work or do much of anything, and that no one will ever use) or you can make a WORKING product that is usable, and that is EASY to use, and that people will use.

You seem to prefer the latter.

> I think you, and maybe others here, may need to understand better this
>concept of extensible systems. That's at the very core of OpenSim from
>the beginning, even before I started contributing -- OpenSim is not an
>application, it's a platform with which to build applications.
I think you need to sit down and understand the concept of "working product".  You also need to stop confusing "extensible system" with "not working" product.

PHP, and Apache are what I would consider "extensible systems".  PHP is easily downloaded, and it works (out of the box).  Yet it comes with many different modules (as part of the default distro) and those modules have all been thoroughly tested, and can easily be enabled by simply uncommenting out the module name in the default.ini file.