[Opensim-dev] Stepping down from OpenSim core

Mark Malewski mark.malewski at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 22:41:37 UTC 2009

Stefan,

I'm truly sorry to hear about Tribal Media's demise.

http://lbsa71.net/2009/05/18/tribes-and-tribulations/#comments

I've always disliked the "do it yourself, or pay someone to do it" comments,
simply because it seems to go directly against what I truly believe the Open
Source Community is all about.

I wish you all the best, and I truly do appreciate all the hard work that
you and Darren have done for the Virtual Community (and the OpenSim
project).

I see all the great things coming out of OpenSource groups like RealXtend,
and I understand that Tribal Media was trying to create a business model out
of it, but I really truly wish that Tribal Media would have became more
"OpenSource" like the RealXtend project.

I understand developer's need to eat, but Open Source Communities are truly
about people coming together (as a Community) and working together in a
positive way to create something great.  Look at Ubuntu, Drupal, Joomla or
any of the various other Open Source Projects. It may not seem profitable in
your eyes, it's almost like doing "Pro Bono" work, but Open Source Projects
really work towards the sole purpose of helping the Community as a whole
(Look at Linux, Mozilla, Apache, MySQL, etc.).

Stefan, I really do want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for all
your contributions and hard work.  I'm truly sorry for questioning your
financial motives at times, and I'm sorry to hear that "Tribal Media" was
not profitable and has failed as a business model.

Great individuals like Linus Torvald were true pioneers.  In the end
companies like RedHat even gave Linus a small portion of their stock, and
Linus was eventually rewarded for all his hard work and "Open Source"
vision.

While some like Bill Gates or Steve Jobs may start projects for self
recognition, or the hopes (or dreams) that they can get rich quick or make
money or some form of business model out of it, others do work (Open Source)
just for the pure joy and satisfaction that they get out of helping others,
and helping the Community as a whole grow.  I would like to especially thank
Jim for financially supporting much of your development work.  I truly wish
you and Daren (and your families) all the financial best in the future.

I believe the Metaverse will continue, Tribal Media will just be another
chapter in the book, and it's sad to see you leave.  Your heart really needs
to be into Open Source work, and you really need to enjoy what you are
doing.  When it's no longer fun, then it's time to step down and move on.
 You will definitely be missed, and thank-you for all that you have done for
OpenSim and the Open Source Community.

Hopefully we'll continue to move forward in a progressive way as an Open
Source Community project.
Thank-you for all of your hard work, for your dedication and for all that
you have done for the Community.  I think you're an extremely talented
individual, and I hate to see you leave the OpenSim project.  I wish you all
the best in whatever direction you may head, I'm sorry to hear about Tribal
Media's demise, but hopefully when you find gainful employment if your heart
ever changes course I would really truly love to see you come back as a Dev,
and commit some of the great and wonderful ideas and things that you were
thinking about and working on over at Tribal Media and truly wish that you
could/would eventually feed all of your wonderful ideas and work back to the
Open Source OpenSim project (or possibly turn all of your Tribal Media work
into an Open Source project similar to RealXtend, so that others may learn
from it and improve upon it).

I really loved what you were doing over at Tribal Media, and thank-you again
for all that you have done for the OpenSim project and the Metaverse
Community.

I really truly hate to see you leave as an OS Core Dev, but thank-you again
for all that you have done and best of luck with whatever you choose to do
in the future.

                Mark