[Opensim-dev] scene import/export to another app: oar? dotscene? collada?

Toni Alatalo antont at kyperjokki.fi
Wed Sep 16 21:23:18 UTC 2009

Justin Clark-Casey kirjoitti:
>> I've now been leaning against writing OAR support elsewhere exactly
>> 'cause it is the internal structure and perhaps awkward for what need
>>
> That's theoretically true, but I should think that the old format will still be
> loadable in some way since changes here would break everybody's existing content

Yah was thinking about the same - I guess there are ways to deal with
that .. perhaps kind of loosing the initial comfort of automatic
serialization though, needing manual processing for backwards compat.

> Separate files for objects and assetes were used in order to potentially allow
> regions to be more easily composed out of world from separate components.
> Whether this is a good thing or whether there are more advantages to a single
> monolithic file is, I'm sure, something that could be debated.

Agreed - I think assets in separate files easily make sense, and for
SL/Opensim like prims too 'cause there is no distinction of the specific
geom and it's instance(s) in the scene. That said the single file
Collada .dae files that am working with now seem sensible too.

>> Collada and X3D would be engine independent standards that would

I built something called 'ColladaDotNet', using the Collada Document
class from the Collada for XNA project, and have succesfully tested
using that to read reference Collada scene files, and my own exports
from Blender.

Am planning to test importing scene info to Opensim / ModRex using that
.. first just object positions. May test in the Naali viewer (first) too
.. reading collada files there for local preview (may use with the
pycollada lib there, have the same test as for ColladaDotNet working now
with that too).

~Toni