[Opensim-dev] Proposal: OpenSim StyleCop compliance

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 10 17:18:33 UTC 2009

Melanie wrote:
> I'm really not comfortable with such a straitjacket. Those rules are
> pretty harsh, and i hate typing "this." all the time. Most of our
> code follows most of the sensible rules most of the time, the
> nonsensical ones, like this.instanceVar, I don't think we need.
> Also, Microsoft Corporation really should not dictate coding style.
>
> +1 for discussion on style
>
> -1 on StyleCop.

I have to agree with Melanie here.  I personally quite strongly prefer the use
of m_ and constant use of "this." seems pretty ugly (though I believe Python may
do this?).

I think our code mostly follows the Microsoft rules but I like the room for a
bit of individual variation where it isn't disruptive.  So I'm not a big fan of
automatic stylers.

I also don't think documentation rules would really help much - I think our
problem is a lack of documentation rather than its formatting.

> Melanie
>

> Sean Dague wrote:
>> Stefan Andersson wrote:
>>> One of the biggest impacts on code is the transition from "m_" to explicit
>>> "this." and that commenting, regions and line break formatting is strictly
>>> governed.
>>>

>>> As you all know, I've been a proponent of "m_" but that's something I'm
>>> ready to lay aside to achieve consistent code style. I also know that there
>>> is reflecting code depending on the "m_" naming, but those projects can be
>>> excluded until we can get a fix for that.
>>>

>>> As StyleCop is implemented as a Visual Studio plug-in I guess code cleanup
>>> will have to be a voluntary effort by the Visual Studio developers. This
>>> proposal is more about embracing the StyleCop code style in itself.
>> +1 to conforming style here, honestly any set of consistant rules is
>> better than non consistancy, and if a tool from the windows side of the
>> house can keep us honest, more power to it.
>>
>> I personally never liked the m_ anyway, so it going to more explicit
>> nature would be fine with me.
>>
>> 	-Sean

justincc
Justin Clark-Casey