[Opensim-dev] Make ODE and Meshmerizer the default options?

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 9 18:17:02 UTC 2009

In the OpenSim developer's meeting yesterday on OSGrid we had a discussion about
making ODE the default physics engine and Meshmerizer the default mesher.

Currently, basicphysics is the default physics engine but the general response
was that everybody quickly switches to ODE since objects can only be phantom
under basicphysics.

The disadvantage with switching to ODE is that 64 bit Windows users would have
to run bin/OpenSim.32BitLaunch.exe since there is currently no compilable 64 bit
Windows ODE (though there is a Linux one).

Everybody at the meeting felt that the advantages of going with ODE outweighed
this disadvantage.  Does anybody on the list have a good reason for not
switching defaults?

As for meshing, ZeroMesher is currently the default.  However, this implements
extremely basic meshing (non rotatable cubes).  In comparison, Meshmerizer is
much more sophisticated.  There was strong feedback in the meeting that many
people quickly switch to Meshmerizer and that it would be good to make this the
default.  Anybody have good counter-arguments to this?  I think there is
potentially some performance impact but users sophsticated enough to encounter
that can always switch back to ZeroMesher.

--
justincc
Justin Clark-Casey