[Opensim-dev] ConsoleClient -pass option

Dickson, Mike (ISS Software) mike.dickson at hp.com
Wed Sep 9 11:12:52 UTC 2009

Right, for example the load oar case is probably best handled with REST by adding a new verb and I including the OAR file in the body as you suggest.  But the current console code as best as I can tell would need to be augmented to do that.

My point is, if you want to make it easy for others to implement what is very likely an RPC like interface in the first place (which the console code is, IMO, it has "commands" that take parameters much like a function call/rpc call) then why not use XML/RPC in the first place and take advantage of the standardized wire format support and broad language support.

But as you indicate, you certainly can do it w/REST, you just end up writing the parsers on both sides yourself.

Mike