[Opensim-dev] versioning question

krtaylor krtaylor at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Sep 3 16:46:08 UTC 2009

I have been playing around with a solution for the sequential version
reporting, but it is not as simple as it may seem. The best description
of the problem and solution I have found is at:

http://michaelandlaura.org.uk/~michael/blog/index.php?id=379

The catch is that we appear to be using tag objects that are orphaned.
To see an example of that, just run git show-ref on a clone tree for
0.6.6-release. The hash is shown, but then git log does not contain that
hash, even when tracking the master.

It seems that we need to switch to a slightly different policy of
checking in and tagging at a release boundary and no orphaning that tag
object. Alternatively, we could just lightweight tag the checkin that
changes the release version file.

Comments?

Kurt

--