[Opensim-dev] The notion of "core"

Teravus Ovares teravus at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 11:04:46 UTC 2009

My message was in response to your sarcastic comment,
"Thanks for all the information -- it makes one feel in the loop an
having a voice."

My point was that you're calling us on keeping people out of the loop
when you don't also keep people in the loop.  I've been a part of the
dev mailing list for some time now.  The dev list hasn't been asked to
vote on the people who have commit on the realXtend server.

A fork in git is an action that allows you to keep your own copy that
you distribute.  Where you get your copy from is really irrelevant in
a distributed source control management system.  The point is..   you
manage what goes in to your copy and what doesn't.   This establishes
that you have control over that 'fork'.     Once again, you can't
claim that you don't have control over Taiga.   You can choose to
merge or not.   You can even knit pick specific commits.

"Also, since we have no reX-specific modification, it's more like an
svn:external"
Does that mean that you're no longer using Ogre mesh in the realXtend Server?

>No, we use a web of trust system, ie. each current contributor gets to
> decide on their own who gets commit access to SVN -- if we used git
> even that distinction would become meaningless.

We accept patches the same way.   The patches are reviewed by a core
member, and committed as is appropriate.
For example: here's a recent patch by Snowcrash that was committed by dahlia:
http://opensimulator.org/viewgit/?a=commit&p=opensim&h=182693628ca1b81c90f3f0296418437eda406bb5

> I think this is a case of not understanding what I'm talking about.
> It's also not the first time you've done that to attack me publicly
> even though you have my IM.

I'm not attacking you publicly.  I'm simply saying that I don't think
it's fair for you to call OpenSimulator core on 'keeping people out of
the loop' when you're not 100% 'community inclusive'.   Come back and
make that claim when you are.

> You seem to have profoundly misunderstood my words yet again. I'm not
> sure where you get "negative" from...
It's possible.    However, when I receive advice like

>In that case, unless core is comprised of lawyers, or confidential
>legal advice is being directly quoted, it might be healthier to
>discuss in public -- at least so it's readable by those who have a
>stake in the community.

>Every community/OSS book that mentions private lists for limited use,
>in the next breath cautions against over-use.

in an e-mail thread where you exclaim

"
Fourthly, the email is not just about one mailing list, it's about the
entire concept of a monolithic core in open source, especially given
we're on a DVCS like git. If core is not interested in examining
itself as it grows, then so be it.
"

Is it any wonder that I interpret the next statement, "Thanks for all
the information -- it makes one feel in the loop an
having a voice.", sarcastically?

Regards

Teravus