[Opensim-dev] The notion of "core"

Edward Middleton emiddleton at bebear.net
Tue Oct 20 06:20:33 UTC 2009

Frisby, Adam wrote:
> I disagree.
>
> * Commit Rights - those discussions cannot occur in public (although the discussion archives are open to committers after being invited), the reason for this is no-one can be frank & honest without hurting people's feelings.
>
> ---
> From the excellent F/OSS guidebook: http://producingoss.com/en/consensus-democracy.html#electorate
> "The voting system itself should be used to choose new committers, both full and partial. But here is one of the rare instances where secrecy is ...

I think the quote is a bit out of context, the book was released in 2005
when most people were using centralized version control systems CVCS
like subversion.  I can understand making a big deal about commit access
(or rights if you want to put it that way) when you are working with a
CVCS because it is pretty constraining to work it,  but aren't you
moving/have moved to a DVCS[1] (i.e.  git) where having commit access to
the central repository is something more akin to being the release manager.

Edward

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributed_revision_control