[Opensim-dev] Protocol Gateways

Don McGregor mcgredo at nps.edu
Wed Oct 7 16:52:02 UTC 2009

I'm kicking around the idea of gatewaying into OpenSimulator an
existing DoD Modeling and Simulation
protocol, Distributed Interactive Simulation (DIS). DIS is used for
virtual worlds in military
simulations. Primarily it describes the position, orientation,
velocity, etc, of entities in a
virtual world.

There may be multiple entities on the DIS side of the gateway; I want
to inject them into
the OpenSimulator server side.

I've been poking around the various wikis for a while and haven't seen
a good description
of the (or a) client-server protocol for movement. What's a reasonable
approach to this?
Should I translate the DIS packets into an OpenSimualtor client/server
protocol? Try to
write a server-side module that speaks DIS? And, most importantly,
where can I find
some documentation on how to do this?