[Opensim-dev] a bit of process information

diva at metaverseink.com diva at metaverseink.com
Thu Oct 1 15:38:32 UTC 2009

In case people aren't aware of this, most of the action in OpenSim
happens on the IRC Freenode channel #opensim-dev. You might get a better
picture of what's going on in the project, and of the people behind it,
by logging in to it. (just don't ask support and off-topic questions)

It's worth to point out again that, unlike several other [open source]
projects out there, OpenSim does not have an organization behind it, not
even a dominant one. The developers are a group of independent
individuals, each one with his/her own motivations and background, all
very diverse. They are doing this for a mix of fun and potential
business opportunities, all independent. As such, things that happen
naturally in other projects -- such as defining goals and milestones,
coordination -- are a major hurdle to pull off here.

Just to give an example, some developers are opposed to voice meetings
-- imagine that in a normal organization!
Our only common meeting ground is the use of the IRC #opensim-dev.
That's all we have to work together. There's usually ~90 people logged
into that channel.

When using OpenSim as the basis of your product, commercial or not,
please take this into consideration. Plan according to this reality, and
not according to "what it should be".

Diva / Crista