[Opensim-dev] Answering some questions about 3Di Viewer "Rei"

nlin nlin.message at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 08:25:27 UTC 2009

Hi,

Great to see the interest in and discussion around the open source 3Di
viewer "Rei". As for some of the questions that have been raised, let me try
to address them here.

1. Upstream OpenSim: Rei works with upstream open source OpenSim. We have
several reports of it being used successfully, so please let us know if you
have problems getting it running. There are probably bugs, and we'll be
working on fixing those bugs. If you find some bugs, please post them to our
public bug tracker on github: http://github.com/3di/3di-viewer-rei/issues

2. 3D Meshes: We are very interested in working with the community to
continue the ongoing discussion about how to get meshes working in upstream
OpenSim. The 3Di commercial product 3Di OpenSim Enterprise has implemented a
specific mesh solution that depends on Irrlicht-format meshes, because our
rendering engine and content tools are based on Irrlicht. However,
Irrlicht-format files are probably not going to be usable in viewers that
aren't based on Irrlicht. So the next step is to continue discussion about
community needs, to find a general, standard mesh solution for OpenSim.

3D meshes are just one example of new content types that can be implemented
when compatible licenses allow developers to work both on server and viewer.
I'm sure there are many other more exciting things that are possible.

Thanks,
-nlin