[Opensim-dev] Implemented oar merge facility

Zonja Capalini zonja.capalini at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 11:47:45 UTC 2009

A cool use case that comes to my mind immediately (but I don't know whether
it's easy or not :-)) is
the relocation of airboxes. I remember having to relocate a 10000+ prims
airboxed city in SL,
and it was a real pita. Moving all objects manually was out question because
it would have been
too time consuming, and mass-selecting 10000 prims is buggy, to say the
least -- additionally,
the viewers are very stupid in that respect, because mass selection does not
select Linden
plants and trees. I ended up by mass-selecting anyway, then manually moving
up the
airboxed city (which caused of course incredible lag), and then a lot of
smaller objects
had escaped the selection and had to be moved manually, etc.

It would be great if the load/save oar pair would allow for the following:

1) Saving everything in a sim between z1 and z2 meters (effectively storing
one aixbox
level only), and

2) Load the previous oar with an offset of z3 (i.e., all objects would get
their previous
z plus z3, which could be positive or negative).

As I mentioned previously, I don't know if this falls under the "easy" case
category or not :-)

Indeed, once one starts to think in the direction of saving anything less
than a whole
sim, the relocation problem appears immediately. What if I save a building
in a partial
oar but I want to have it load-merged in a different position? Of course
this can also
be done with linksets, but large linksets tend to be unmanageable -- or with
coalesced
objects, but the same problem applies, and besides they are not currently
implemented
by Opensim. I think partial oars can fill a hole here, but at the price of
implementing
relocation in the load-merge operation (and possibly some form of z-rotation
too).

  /Zonja