[Opensim-dev] Any objections to starting the OpenSim 0.6.8 release process?

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 24 20:37:13 UTC 2009

Hi folks,

It seems that we've reached a good level of stability after the most recent set
of changes and fixes.

Therefore, I'd like to start the ball rolling on releasing OpenSim 0.6.8.  As
happened with 0.6.7, I think that we should branch from git master sometime in
the next few days and spend a week or so testing the release candidate for
super-critical show-stopping failures before making it official.

I think that 0.6.8 will be considerably better than 0.6.7 due to the many recent
stability fixes.  Therefore, I'm keen to see the production of
installers/binaries this time so any help in this area would be great when the
time comes.

The major configuration change for 0.6.8 is the addition of the grid service to
the ROBUST framework (making the user service the only remaining hardcoded
standalone grid service executable).  I intend to update the existing
configuration documentation to reflect this and hopefully improve it a bit, even
if such documentation may be rewritten soon.

I documented this lightweight release process at

http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Release_Cycle

Any thoughts about making a release at this time?

--
Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
http://justincc.org