[Opensim-dev] Leaving Project

Melanie melanie at t-data.com
Tue Nov 24 11:09:42 UTC 2009

*"OpenSim is not Second Life, is not intended to be like Second
Life, nor ever will be."*

As the developer who was quoted there, I'd like to say that breaking
compatibility is not my aim and should not be construed into that quote.

Rather, my statement means that we will not allow OpenSim to be
_reduced_ and _limited_ to what SL can do. There comes a point where
we have to focus on things that transcend the Second Life concept,
and that may mean that we do not implement each button-click
response to the viewer in exactly the same way LL did.

There is a group of people who would like to see OpenSim emulate SL
_exactly_ and never deviate nor transcend it. This is the group of
people whose only aim is to compete with SecondLife in the social
virtual worlds market.

That is a valid use case, but core has to see the bigger picture. We
don't want to discourage SecondLife-like applications, quite the
opposite, we welcome each new user of our software.

But, we'd like to see OpenSim still being around when social virtual
worlds are a footnote in history.

Please read my statement again with that in mind.

Melanie