[Opensim-dev] Leaving Project

nlin nlin.message at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 04:37:28 UTC 2009

2009/11/23, Frisby, Adam <adam at deepthink.com.au>:
> The big problem here is there's a very real lack of viewer developers in
> this community - there is some overlap between server & network engineers
> (like the OS community) and 3D Viewer Developers here, but not much. If we
> do have 3D devs in the community who haven't done anything and feel like
> contributing - you really should be talking to some of the 'next gen viewer'
> projects and seeing if we can get something awesome done faster.

Hear, hear :)

As far as I know there are three viewer projects that are written in
C#, so those would be a good opportunity for interested C# OpenSim
developers to contribute. The three that I know of are Looking Glass,
IdealistViewer, and Rei (based on IdealistViewer). Rei also has a
plugin architecture similar to OpenSim, and can be controlled with
JavaScript, so extending the viewer is rather easy.

All three of these C# viewers would be candiates for OpenSim
developers to work on without worrying about code taint issues that
might arise when looking at GPL viewer code. You don't necessarily
need to have extensive 3D graphics knowledge to contribute, because 3D
graphics is only a small part of the code; the rest is similar to what
OpenSim is doing (receiving/processing/forwarding data).

-nlin