[Opensim-dev] Navigating the Wiki

Mark Malewski mark.malewski at gmail.com
Wed May 20 10:51:04 UTC 2009

Colin/Rock,

To answer your questions:

1) I'm working on updating pages, and working on navigation as we speak, so
please just give me a week or two just get all the WIKI pages updated, and
get the navigation updated.  I'm working on some new icons as well.  I just
need a bit of time.  ;-)

> If you downloaded the latest trunk, and you found serious problems, and
went to the wiki page, where would any early > adopter look first to find
out what might be the cause? The Home page? Support page? News? Downloads?
Developer's Docs?

2) Your best bet would be to check out the list of known bugs, and reference
the bug tracking link.  It points directly to Mantis, and it's the best
place to look for known bugs, or to report a new bug.

It's best to keep all the bug reporting in one area, so that way the
developers can at least see the problems/known bugs that need to be worked
on.  We could create hundreds of different WIKI pages for listing bugs, but
the developers would never find them, and that's why all the page links are
all pointing back to Mantis.  I will create a "Status" page that we can
update with current "known issues", but I'm still working on it.  So please
just give us some time.

The developers are working hard on developing, and they know to check
Mantis, and it's the best place for them to see, check and read about known
bugs, or new bug reports.  Developers don't have time to sift through WIKI
pages searching for new posted bugs.  So the most recent bugs are all posted
in Mantis.  A user could post a bug report anywhere, or even write the
description of a bug report on the sidewalk in front of your house with
chalk, but it's HIGHLY unlikely that it will get much attention, or the
issue will ever get read (or resolved) by the developers who need to know
about it.  So your best bet, is Mantis.

http://opensimulator.org/mantis/<http://opensimulator.org/mantis/my_view_page.php>

If you look at the "Bug Tracking" link on the left hand side of the OpenSim
WIKI nagivation menu, you'll see a link called "Bug Tracking" and it points
to Mantis.  That is where you would go to learn about new bugs, or report
new bugs.  I will work on adding a "Status" page to the navigation, and I'll
work on updating that page with the latest "Known Issues".  But please give
me about 2 more weeks as I'm sifting through all the WIKI pages and updating
the WIKI right now, so I will get to it.  Just give me a bit of time.

> I tried all them and could not find one word.
Try Mantis.  It's the best place to look.  If you don't find it there, then
post a message to the Dev-list.  Certainly one of the developers will be
glad to help you, and if it's an "unknown" bug, or something fairly recent
then you can always post a new bug report using Mantis.  If you really need
help, then drop me an e-mail (off-list) and I'll try to give you a hand, or
point you to someone who can.

>Navigating the wiki to find info should be much more intuitive, and a link
all important new info should be on either
> the Home page or the News page, IMO.

Yes, as I stated previously, I've been working on updating OS user
documentation, as well as the WIKI pages.  I'm in the middle of creating a
new "Status" page.  Please just give me a bit more time, there are only 24
hours in a day.  Please give me about 2 more weeks, and I'll have most of
the WIKI pages updated and hopefully things will be a bit easier for you to
navigate and find information.  If you have any immediate problems,
concerns, complaints or suggestions please drop me an E-mail (off-list) and
I'll work on helping you.

                              Thanks,

                                Mark

P.S.  I'm adding a few new icons to the navigation menu (one for news, and
one for status), but we try hard not to clutter up the home page.  I am
working on the navigation though, and that is on my long list of things to
do.  I'm slowly combing through all the pages, and working on navigation,
and navigation links.  I really need about 2 more weeks though.  Thank-you.
 If you're having a problem just drop me an e-mail off-list, and I'll try to
help you, or I'll at least point you to the correct WIKI page (or point you
to some documentation).  ;-)