[Opensim-dev] WARNING: r9562 may break things

Melanie melanie at t-data.com
Fri May 15 09:28:03 UTC 2009

Hello,

I prefer to keep the handlers separate. If it weren't for your
testing requirements, they would be part of the exe.
As these implementations grow, things tend to bulk up. Eventually,
we would wind up with a juggernaut of a DLL, like OpenSim.Framework,
which is wasting memory and cycles to load and access. I am
attempting to write these servers to not only be lean in source,
abut also in object code. This means not loading methods not needed
for a certain server. The User server has no need of the asset
handlers, why should it load them? Waste of bytes, waste of cycles,
not clean at all. Also, it makes breaking out one server into a
subproject or a forge project that much harder, as stuff would need
to be cut back out of the huge DLL. I believe this is the better
way, and where does the number of small projects really matter? I
believe I have heard either you or Justin say we should have more
functionality borken up into individual DLLs, and that means more
and smaller projects.

Melanie