[Opensim-dev] Bug or Feature? :( A sim is constantly taking abnormal ram space and eventually crashes after a few hours.

Darren Williams digitaldaz100 at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 26 15:04:40 UTC 2009

I loaded this oar on OSGrid and left it running overnight. Ubuntu 8.04 mono 2.2 with the boehm-gc patch as per nebadons instructions. The box has 1.5GB RAM. After 15 minutes everything seemed to have settled down and top showed 19.6% of RAM used and 3.7% CPU (P4 2.8Ghz) The console showed 147MB allocated to opensim. Just before I went to bed top was showing 29.2% RAM usage and 1.3% CPU. After 10 hours I looked again, top now showed 24.1% RAM usage and console showed allocated to opensim 204MB. At sometime or other Second Inventory seems to have been used, SI adds its own files sometimes and these are definitely present in the oar.

What does top look like? When using SI before I have noticed this seems to push the cached RAM really high and eventually starts to go into swap.

After loading a large amount of prims or using SI I often do a:
sync; echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

This allows me to run much longer before going into swap.