[Opensim-dev] WG: Legal Issues was RFC Profiles

Ralf Haifisch ralf at ralf-haifisch.biz
Tue Mar 31 21:08:44 UTC 2009

Dear all,

i while ago i went over the legal side of many aspects with 2 lawyer.

Since this is a multinational question and in many cases has not exampels
(e.g. no judgments by court) it tends to be a discussion based on personal
flavor, but not legal facts.

And yes, maybe there is enough mud for the whole 3D web.

But to come to the point:

- I don´t know any country, where having the ability to add a
hypergrid-aware note about the creator and a license (hint, url, notecard)
would have negative impact

- I know a few countrys where it would realy help from legal side

- it would be a clear sign, that the opensim crew takes care about content
rights and ownership

And yes, this only is another brick in the wall of copyright protection. We
still have RL laws, we still need secure technical system, rights management
etc etc...

And spoken in sex beds, I am more afraid about the pure mass von animations
etc - a few more notecards don´t worry me to much.   :-)

So - if it is possible somehow, please add it.

Just my 2 cent...

Cheers,
Ralf

---