[Opensim-dev] Legal Issues was RFC Profiles

Tom Willans tom.willans at bessacarr.com
Tue Mar 31 09:34:34 UTC 2009

Something needs to be done and having a mechanism to provide a
consistent identify across worlds needs to be part of the solution.

By default creators have all rights reserved copyright to their own
creations, without having to explicitly declare it.  Having a
creative commons licence by default could mean creators loosing these
rights inadvertently.  International agreements over digital rights
and software patents i.e. scripts are far from agreed between nations.

I think that there are issues regarding "buying" items as there can
be a big divide between the general perception of what you can do
with a bought product. In the virtual world there is not the same
sense of say a digital download. The permissions based system
regardless of security issues does address this however imperfectly.

There is also the issue of moving assets between virtual worlds and
platforms and issues of how to give variants of the this copyright to
enable any other hosting agents the rights to make copies for
technical reasons. I use the same Avatar name across all worlds and
that is my virtual identity regardless of the platform. The UUID is
just a technical bit and need not even be the same everywhere. Who
are you giving permissions to the Avatar or the owner of the Avatar?

A notecard is useful regardless of any DRM that may need to be applied.

On 31 Mar 2009, at 09:25, Andrew Yourtchenko wrote:

> My 1.5 eurocents:
>
> On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 5:33 AM, Frisby, Adam
> <adam at deepthink.com.au> wrote:
>> I suggest using a URI here for the licenses, with major license
>> links hosted at sites owned by major organisations unlikely to go
>> down (CC, FSF, etc).
>
> Watching the discussion, I thought having a "License library set" of
> notecards with the predefined UUIDs might make it possible to have a
> complete set of licenses. However, this all has one interesting aspect
> - what if the license changes at some point in time ? Does the new
> edition have a new URL or the old one ? It's an interesting single
> point of failure if the latter. At least with UUIDs, the asset system
> is working against it (and, technically the UUIDs for those very
> specific items could be based on the hash of the content. RFC4122
> allows the SHA-1-based generation of the UUID based on namespace ID
> and name - in this case the "name" could be the entire license text.
>
> I'm not a cryptographer, but I think making a SHA-1 collision *and*
> keeping the entirety of the text legaleze should be reasonably hard :)
> So, as a result we get the unique UUID for each license which will
> protect the text from accidental or malicious modification.
>

>> For plain SL-viewers, perhaps we could show the licenses as the
>> 'description' of the inventory item or something? (maybe a '/
>> license <item>' command inworld with the inventory item name
>> returns license information?)
>
> Another idea - if UUID is being used as a license id - would be to
> force-feed the user with the license notecard for the first time, when
> they select the item with the license not yet accepted, and request to
> assign "their friendly name" to this license if they accept it.
>
> Subsequently send a one-liner into their messages from a
> pseudo-account named "License Reminder" when they select the other
> items for the first time in their inventory (or if they double click
> it?)
>
> (Of course, overloading a description is nice, but then where does one
> store the description ?)
>
> A totally out of the blue thought for the textures is to use the
> steganography to embed the license ID + creator name into the texture
> itself, my perception is that the size of the textures that the folks
> would care about would be big enough to allow this. Then this could be
> checked on import and the exceptions reported to the user themselves
> and the sim/grid owner.
>
> cheers,
> andrew
>

>> Adam

Tom Willans
Managing Director
Bessacarr Publications Ltd
3 Highfield, Hatton Park, Warwick, CV35 7TQ
tom.willans at bessacarr.com
+44 (0) 1926 402055   +44 (0) 121 288 0281
Registered in England and Wales at the above address.  Company No:
4925067. VAT No:GB 823 9317 24.

This e-mail is confidential and intended solely for the use of the
individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions presented
are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those
of Bessacarr Publications Ltd. If you are not the intended recipient
you have received this e-mail in error and that any use,
dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail is
strictly prohibited. Please return it to the sender immediately. The
contents of this message may be legally privileged.