[Opensim-dev] Updated: OpenSim profiling on ScienceSim wiki

Lake, Dan dan.lake at intel.com
Thu Mar 26 13:09:26 UTC 2009

I posted some new OpenSim profiling results on the ScienceSim wiki at http://sciencesim.com/wiki/doku.php/opensim/performance_profiling.

In my previous post, I used a workload which rezzed 2,000 objects as quickly as possible. Each object a script and timer to rotate and change color every 1-5 seconds. After those optimizations to r8536, it took about 1.5 minutes to rez 2,000 objects with an 80% reduction in stead state CPU utilization.

Today's update describes the changes which enable the same scene to rez 10,000 scripted objects in the same 1.5 minutes (5X rez rate) and rez up to 40,000 objects in 8 minutes.

I also describe a change to script state persistence that may enable up to 10,000 objects to be rezzed per minute, and a much higher scene maximum with respect to state. I have tested that idea out and was able to rez 50,000 scripted objects in under 5 minutes. The sim was between 25-30 FPS and only 3 of 4 processor cores were utilized.

There are still a number of performance limitations with managing lists of updates, timers, and scene object inventories.

Your comments or feedback are appreciated.

Dan lake
Network Software Engineer
Network Technology Lab
Corporate Technology Group