[Opensim-dev] "save iar" clarification and documentation on its use...

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 19 21:29:55 UTC 2009

Salahzar Stenvaag wrote:
> This is just a small request for clarification of how save / load iar is
> going to work in the future (We see that Justin is working on it).
>
> I understood that this might allow people to save their inventory
> locally (in a similar way as SecondInventory is doing), and then allow
> to restore them in a 2nd time.

Yes.  Though I think another interesting use is for distributing inventory offline to other people in a more granular
format than whole region archives.

> Some people understood that this is only working with standalone mode
> and NOT in grid mode.
> Is that true?

That isn't true, though in grid mode you will need to be logged in to the region in order to load/save inventory.  In
standalone mode this can be done without the user being in region (since you would have complete access to all databases
anyway).

> Is there a documentation page where to see the extent of IARs and how
> they can be used?

Not yet.  There will be documentation once they're ready for initial use (which will be soon).  There are a few more
things I need to do yet.

> For instance can they be used to "clean up" a grid saving all the IAR's
> of the users, purging the asset store and reload all the IAR's back?
>
> Or this is an heresy even to think of? :)

Burn the witch!  Burn him, burn him!

In principle you could do a clean up by storing an OAR for every region and then storing IARs for every single user.
However, in practice it would be vastly more efficient to write code to directly garbage collect unused assets (which is
possible in closed grid scenarios and even more possible for standalones).  Even then, I think that it would still take
quite a long time.

> salahzar

justincc
Justin Clark-Casey