[Opensim-dev] Are 2000 prims, 100 simple scripts in a OpenSim

Ralf Haifisch ralf at ralf-haifisch.biz
Wed Mar 18 22:25:45 UTC 2009

Heho,

To come tot he header question:  no, this is by far not to much.

Have a look at

http://opensim.cybertechnews.org/?p=71

and maybe use the sizing guide:
OpenSim : Count around 20-30Mb for this (it seems to have increased a bit
since the update)
Empty Region : ~10-15Mb for all the listener etc.
Prims : ~20prims per Mb.
Scripts: ~6 scripts per Mb

These are absolute minimums.

If you look at the ctn-link above, you will understand that restart does not
mean (at least not always), that there is a memory leak. Opensim does cache
stuff... and that can summarize nicely..

Furthermore, think about avatar load:

MrA's client must recieve the appearance data for MrA.
Data transmission count : 1

2 avatars (Mr A, Mrs B)
MrA's client must recieve the appearance data for MrA & MrsB
MrsB's client must recieve the appearance data for MrsB & MrA
Data transmission count : 4

3 avatars (MrA, MrsB, MrC)
MrA's client must recieve the appearance data for MrA, MrsB & MrC
MrsB's client must recieve the appearance data for MrsB, MrA & MrC
MrC's client must recieve the appearance data for MrC, MrA & MrsB
Data transmission count : 9

4 avatars (MrA, MrsB, MrC, MrsD)
MrA's client must recieve the appearance data for MrA, MrsB, MrC & MrsD
MrsB's client must recieve the appearance data for MrsB, MrA, MrC & MrsD
MrC's client must recieve the appearance data for MrC, MrA, MrsB & MrsD
MrsD's client must recieve the appearance data for MrsD, MrA, MrsB & MrC
Data transmission count : 16

For reliability/speed RAM and network(latencency more than bandwith) does
count.

The memory statistics in opensime are maybe right from a dev view on
objects, but for operations missleading.   You need to use more operating
system based monitoring.

and not some burst (you will seldom even get) - but even 2GB are very low
for that configuration.

Cheers,
Ralf

Message: 5