[Opensim-dev] Accessing textures via HTTP [bayes]

Stefan Andersson stefan at tribalmedia.se
Wed Mar 18 18:40:05 UTC 2009

General +1's, cheers and yays.

Best regards,
Stefan Andersson
Tribal Media AB

Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 11:38:41 -0700
From: diva at metaverseink.com
To: opensim-dev at lists.berlios.de
Subject: Re: [Opensim-dev] Accessing textures via HTTP [bayes]

The road to security is like an obstacle course in the Olympics. The obstacles range from really easy (what's happening out there with OpenID, and the current opensim access to inventory) to really hard (have the server disconnected from the public network and require the physical presence of users in the server room). Honestly, I don't think OpenSim should decide on "the right" level of hardship -- that should be up  to the people who set up grids to decide.

What we can do is to provide a few reasonable function points along that obstacle course. And I think that one of those points is, indeed, the no obstacles whatsoever -- there are many use cases for OpenSim where security is not an issue; standalone applications, for example, and applications purely inside firewalls.

Having said that, I think this discussion is diverging. The issue at hand here is MXP, and what Tommil/Dahlia want to do in the Idealist viewer with respect to images. Given how easy it is to configure things in OpenSim, this discussion is theirs. OpenSim does not need to (and should not) converge to one single strategy. Make it configurable, always.

Kyle Hamilton wrote:
I was under the impression that the asset server was going to require
authentication regardless.  It would be possible to keep track, for
each agent, what textures have been 'authorized' (by being in view).
Remember, we can't protect content in the cache of the client, and the
client can be hostile.  Anyone can do it, and it doesn't matter what
kinds of roadblocks are put in the way.

This is why some means of detecting copyright violations is necessary.
 I'm sorry that my proposal, 6 months ago, was dropped.  It seems to
be the only sustainable way to ensure that these kinds of violations
get noticed.

-Kyle H

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 11:08 AM, Dahlia Trimble