[Opensim-dev] Accessing textures via HTTP [bayes]

Diva Canto diva at metaverseink.com
Wed Mar 18 18:38:41 UTC 2009

The road to security is like an obstacle course in the Olympics. The
obstacles range from really easy (what's happening out there with
OpenID, and the current opensim access to inventory) to really hard
(have the server disconnected from the public network and require the
physical presence of users in the server room). Honestly, I don't think
OpenSim should decide on "the right" level of hardship -- that should be
up  to the people who set up grids to decide.

What we can do is to provide a few reasonable function points along that
obstacle course. And I think that one of those points is, indeed, the no
obstacles whatsoever -- there are many use cases for OpenSim where
security is not an issue; standalone applications, for example, and
applications purely inside firewalls.

Having said that, I think this discussion is diverging. The issue at
hand here is MXP, and what Tommil/Dahlia want to do in the Idealist
viewer with respect to images. Given how easy it is to configure things
in OpenSim, this discussion is theirs. OpenSim does not need to (and
should not) converge to one single strategy. Make it configurable, always.