[Opensim-dev] Accessing textures via HTTP [bayes]

Homer Horwitz homerhorwitz at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 18 06:53:35 UTC 2009

Hi,

JPEG2000 isn't quite that unsupported; for details, have a look at
http://www.jpeg.org/jpeg2000/

As the textures are stored as j2k streams in the server, and you can't use
the jpeg-formatted images in the client directly either, even if you would
get them (as for rendering you'll probably need some uncompressed
texture-format), re-coding the images from j2k to jpeg (on the server or on
the client), and then decoding them in the client again will only add
processing time and decrease image-quality.
A much better way (regarding performance and quality) would be to take what
you get and decode that directly. With OpenJpeg, there is a free
implementation that handles j2k processing (which we use in the server,
too), so I don't see a (technical) reason for not doing this, either.

Cheers,
  Homer