[Opensim-dev] Withdrawing preview config changes for now

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 17 18:02:27 UTC 2009

I see that there is a general (though not total) lack of support for splitting up the existing OpenSim.ini[.example] in
the ways I've previewed.

I still believe that it will be necessary to split this file and I think a certain proportion of the proposal has been
misunderstood - at no point has it been absolutely necessary to copy more than one .ini file and the existing overrides
will continue to work.  In hindsight, I should have put the proposal on a wiki page since it's difficult to follow all
the threads.

However, I also accept that my previous proposals may also not be the best way to go about this.  It seems that a
complicated configuration story has already grown up around OpenSim.

Unfortunately, I really need to turn my time and attention to other things and so I won't be doing any more work right
now to revise this (and I've removed the config preview).  However, I may do some minor work to adjust the existing
OpenSim.ini[.example] to bring the 95% used variables to the top of the file and remove some of the settings which were
originally experimental but are now effectively permanent.

If anybody else wants to pick up this ball and run with it then please feel free.  If nobody does then I may revisit the
topic some time later on.

--
justincc
Justin Clark-Casey