[Opensim-dev] Round 2: Config changes preview

Stefan Andersson stefan at tribalmedia.se
Sat Mar 14 13:52:49 UTC 2009

Some random thoughts;

Our config files serves three purposes, as it seems

a) specifying default values (though why on earth these are ever different from the hardcoded defaults escapes me)

b) specifying user overriding values

c) documenting available settings and their use

d) pushing changing defaults from the svn to installed instances

I think we need to address these concerns separately.

As I understand it, the config dir is so that we can

a) split humongous default config files into smaller ones

b) to be able to 'drop' module default config files into an installation without having to merge them into one big ini.

I think the settings can be split thrice;

1) Stuff that _must_ be reconfigured per installation : ip number, shared ports and stuff like that. (All users, should need no expertise)

2) Stuff that _can_ be reconfigured per installation. (Special installation cases, needs some knowledge)

3) Stuff that _seldom_ needs tampering. (Advanced user, special installation)

I would suggest we break free of the current mindset and think about how 1) could be solved differently.

Maybe we should say "either supply these settings on the command line, or create an OpenSim.ini file, look at OpenSim.ini.example for an example"

Most users would probably go a long way just by specifying the 1) params on the command line.

Of course, the created OpenSim.ini should need to be a bare minimum, and would probably need to change very seldom.

Best regards,
Stefan Andersson
Tribal Media AB