[Opensim-dev] OpenSim dll for use by other programs

Diva Canto diva at metaverseink.com
Fri Mar 13 20:50:48 UTC 2009

I need more architectural advice.

I'm working on a client that has all the control over the agents. For
that, it uses the sending part of the RESTInterregionComms module that I
did a couple of months ago -- a module which now is clearly out of
place. That module is not about interregion comms; it's about comms
involving regions, but not necessarily *between* regions. In my case,
it's between the client and the region. I'm "using
OpenSim.Region.CoreModules.Communications.REST" in my client -- horrible.

So, I want to break it down into 2 parts, sending and receiving. The
question is: where should I place these two parts? The receiving part
can continue to be a region module in CoreModules -- that's perfectly
fine. But how about the sending part?

The sending part needs to be in a dll that can be used by other programs
out there, just like my client. This is, in fact, what will make OpenSim
interoperable from the  outside -- its use API, as opposed to the
wonderful extension API provided by region modules. Should these things
be in OpenSim.Framework.*? I was tempted to think so, but then I looked
at what's in there, and it's clearly facing the internals. Should it be
in OpenSim.Region.Communications.*?
OpenSim.Region.CoreModules.Communications.REST with sending and
receiving parts as separate modules? (but then the importers of this
will get all the other CoreModules as a dll, which doesn't feel right)

Your thoughts appreciated. Just think of what makes sense from a program
that wants to use OpenSim libraries.