[Opensim-dev] Moving Archive code into Framework

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 11 15:21:27 UTC 2009

Mike Mazur wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm working on a plugin for the AssetInventoryServer that will serve up
> tarballs of a user's inventory. Justin's done a lot of work on this
> already with the save/load iar feature, and I'd like to re-use that
> code.
>
> The tar archiving code lives in
> OpenSim/Region/CoreModules/World/Archiver right now. I'd like to move
> it to OpenSim.Framework or somewhere else more central, since it seems
> silly to require core region modules in the AssetInventoryServer. What
> are your thoughts on this (particularly Justin)? Perhaps
> OpenSim.Framework.Archive.dll could hold all that's required to handle
> oar and iar files?

Mike, certainly TarArchiveReader and TarArchiveWriter can be moved to OpenSim.Framework.  It might be nice to pop them
in a separate directory (e.g. OpenSim.Framework.Archive), especially since they probably should be replaced by a third
party library at some stage.

It would also be great to reuse the iar code rather than cut and paste it between the AssetInventoryServer and the
region module.  Perhaps this is one place where the work MW was doing to enable modules to be shared between the region
and other servers might come in handy.  However, it might be necessary to keep a separate piece as a region module since
it needs to register commands that can be invoked from the console.

Also, it's worth bearing in mind that the iar format isn't really ready for use yet (I need to tweak it further and put
in some version information).

Possibly the oar code should also move, though this code is more tightly tied to a region, so perhaps it can just stay
where it is for now.

Essentially, I'm happy with whatever reorg of the code you want to do to get the functionality you want (I don't know if
a separate assembly would be overkill or not).

> If there are no strong objections, I'd like to start with this right
> away. Or if someone else wants to do this, please go ahead.
>
> Thanks!
> Mike

justincc
Justin Clark-Casey