[Opensim-dev] Shared-App Integration into OpenSim

Daniel Herzog dhe at mms-dresden.de
Tue Mar 3 12:22:55 UTC 2009

Hi,

Currently I'm analysing opensim for business purpose and everything works
fine. For me the best feature so far is the Hypergrid. It makes a lot of fun
linking different sims dynamically.

But one feature, I'm still missing, is the ability to work with shared
workspaces. For that reason I'm analyzing other virtual worlds like Croquet
or Wonderland in order to understand how they have realized their concept of
collaborative work. It seems that they use the VNC remote control software
as basis for their approach.

What I want to do next is trying to figure out what it needs to adapt this
idea to opensim to make it possible to interact with documents in-world
(browser, worksheet.). I know that you can still integrate a browser on a
texture but unfortunately interaction is quite weak. Are there any ambitions
to support application sharing or collaboratively browsing in opensim and is
it similar to Croquet/Wonderland in regard to the use of the VNC?

Best regards,

Daniel