[Opensim-dev] OpenID

Ralf Haifisch ralf at ralf-haifisch.biz
Tue Mar 3 07:52:05 UTC 2009

Na...

It will reduce the amount of passwords transmitted /typed in.

You only authenticate to the auth-provider (verisign e.g.).

So you have at least 1 step more security unless you give out more date.

But I totally agree, that people are weak factor.  That is where modern
standard talk

about this exo-technical ways to security , like awareness programs.

I don´t think a system in nower days can do much better.

That is we I wrote about this "trusted stack":

If hardware and software, as well as target application are "signed" (by a
digital certificate) and can identify each other - so we get an complete
certified path for the data:  that would be a trusted stack.

In that case you could have a whitelist , like we have Spam-Blacklists - and
you could get a "green light" to be displayed for the user.

openID (and alike systems) help by reducing password flow and introducing
claims, so only the needed data is submitted (e.g. not your age if buying
shoes) - but the green light must be given by the end of the chain (e.g. the
users browser).

It is a way to go.

Personaly I will not think, that all things things can ever reach the
target, unless people are aware of what they do.

To leave off all this IT-related thoughts:
It is a simple commercial rule, that a chance is related to a risk.
There are still people thinking of 25% on their money with no risk.
When did we introduce the money ??

:-)

Cheers,
Ralf