[Opensim-dev] weird idea #1: lightweight agent/ spectator

Nebadon Izumi nebadon2025 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 16:55:07 UTC 2009

the only bad thing about bringing up the Pcampbot login test was at the time
pcampbot was not pulling assets down from the scene locally to itself, so
realisticly those 1000 pcampbots were probably generating about the same
amount of login traffic that about 10-20 avatars would have been likely.
The only real solution to this problem will likely be load balancing and
many servers working together to break the 100 avatar limit, the chances
that 1 server will be serving 1000 avatars is completely impossible, i
honestly dont think we can ever optimize it enough for even the fastest
servers to deal in 1000 avatars, though i do hope we can atleast get to
around 100 or more.  One test I have done recently that throws a monkey
wrench into my thinking about this, my Region (OKC) Ka which is about 12000
prims and running just over 1000 scripts, when trying to log into the region
with just 1 avatar that is wearing a 1700 prim avatar that uses every single
attach point, i am 100% unable to log into the sim ever.  One other thing to
note is that my avatar has between 11k-12k inventory items and basiclly
trying to access any simulator with more than about 1000 variously textured
prims in the ballpark of about 500+ textures or so (even afer running the
predecode-j2k) i am unable to log in at all.  So again if 1 avatar cant
access the sim, i personallly dont see 1000 avatars entering a  simulator
anytime soon if at all ever, atleast like I said in the 1 server world, this
is probably going to require some major hardware/pipes to achieve.

Neb