[Opensim-dev] Proposal for a cleanup/correction of the region-module system

MW michaelwri22 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jan 26 14:00:31 UTC 2009

This is more to do with how we use Mono.Addins, but we really should make it a lot easier to separate the various UGAIM servers, so that each one can be in its own directory without needing the other UGAIM exe's to be in there.

By default we have the loading of plugins referencing all the UGAIM servers. So that if all the UGAIM servers.exe's aren't in that directory, then no plugins will be loaded.

Mike Mazur <mmazur at gmail.com> wrote: Hi,

On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 22:59:26 +0200
Ryan McDougall  wrote:

> 1. Can we unify RegionModules with IPlugin system I did a while ago?
> This would mean learning and using Mono.Addins, or ExtensionLoader if
> that is Mono.Addins's replacement.

I'd like to suggest sticking with Mono.Addins.

While it is a bit big, has a steeper learning curve and requires more
calls to load a module, it may prove to be pretty useful in the future
when people want to do more complicated things with modules. It is
being actively developed by a wider community, is used in large
projects and is based on the Eclipse add-in engine[1].

ExtensionLoader is nice and small and loads modules well. If/when
OpenSim graduates to more complex module use cases, we may find
ExtensionLoader lacking. Any missing features in ExtensionLoader would
need to be coded by those who need it.

Mike

[1] http://www.mono-project.com/Introduction_to_Mono.Addins