[Opensim-dev] Handling of "Default Media Texture"

Ai Austin ai.ai.austin at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 21 22:22:43 UTC 2009

Can I check what the Opensim dev team approach is to handling the
default media texture, the interaction with LSL scripts that may use
it, and the means to tie that up with the media texture used on plots?

Second Life, and recent SL viewer releases allow use of a constant
for the UUID of the default media texture, or the UUID itself can be
stated ("8b5fec65-8d8d-9dc5-cda8-8fdf2716e361" I believe)... BUT this
is complemented by the availably fo a texture in the standard library
available to all that is that texture and has that specific UUID.

Now we can always match up a custom texture and use that for the plot
media texture, and use its UID in programs... but that doe snot
ensure compatibility across installations, and will require script
tailoring to allow objects to be used as intended.

What is the planned approach in Opensim folks?  is it in fact already
handled and |I just did not realise? Or perhaps we also can include
"Default Media Texture" with the same UUID in the standard Opensim library?