[Opensim-dev] Status of voice

Toni Alatalo antont at kyperjokki.fi
Mon Jan 19 20:50:42 UTC 2009

Stefan Andersson kirjoitti:

just for info,

> Yay for SIP - we've implemented spatial (server-side mixed) voice for
> OpenSim using an unaltered SL client communicating with an voice
> client using an embedded SIP Client based on pjsip[1]

also in the Rex prototyping I mentioned earlier (helped with it a bit in
December and November) we used pjsip, using the python bindings for it -
eventually the 'simplesip' project which is a Pyrex written lib with
msrp support on top of pjsip.

> For us, Freeswitch[2] turned out to be the best alternative on the
> server side. We have also implemented a full conference system with a
> custom freeswitch module, allowing us to do very nifty stuff
> with creating sub-groups and

we also ran against Freeswitch, both local and the friendly sip2sip
online service (to test msrp etc thru two clients behind NAT).

> As I said, yay for SIP - I also think we should think a bit about
> using SIP in other areas of OpenSim, as for example as the.. uhh..
> protocol to initiate sessions.

yep like i think i've rambled here earlier when XMPP was discussed, it
is interesting how there is overlap with OpenSim and the IM/presence/etc
techs, as they are largely about presense and communications (albeit
spatiality and 3d are the other strong aspect in VWs)

> We will follow your development with great interest!

was good to hear you've done similar things and more too (we didn't
touch opensim in those experiments at all, just client side stuff).

> /Stefan

let's keep in touch,
~Toni