[Opensim-dev] Ways to bundle a building/content for sharing with others

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 12 14:43:06 UTC 2009

Ai Austin wrote:
> While we are discussing export and import (save/load) mechanisms...
> it strikes me that the serialization of opensim objects/assets in the
> save-xml and save-oar formats MIGHT be a very useful basis for a tool
> to take content back and forth between Opensim and Second
> Life.   there are ways to export a 3D model built in a 3D tool and
> create an instruction file that can be run through a "build" LSL
> script which generates the objects in SL.   That si a way to manage
> things such that they do not have to be built again in SL, Opensim,
> etc.  I wonder what it would take to create an LSL scrio[pt which
> could take a version of the save-xml or save-oar formats suitably
> exported to text that could be put in a notecard for an LSL script to read?

Some issues off the top of my head

1)  Assets still have to be uploaded separately
2)  LSL scripts when run on a public grid usually have built in delays so the process for large builds will be pretty
slow.  Also, in LSL the file format would have to be pretty simple to be interpretable (parsing XML in LSL in any
non-hacky way looks.... difficult).

Having said that, I'd be pretty sure that there is general LSL code (though maybe not public?) to do 2) - though it must
be pretty slow.

--
justincc
Justin Clark-Casey