[Opensim-dev] AMD's 1000 GPU cloud computer, aim includes virtual worlds

Doug Lundin doug.lundin at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 11:02:49 UTC 2009

I'm new to the list and this topic may have been covered before, but
photorealistic rendering seems to me to be highly desirable and would move
us closer to a viable business solution. With OpenSim, have we explored
getting closer to photorealism? Is it a matter of software or hardware?

Amazon EC2 has already been used to spin up an OpenSim world to deal with
the number of sims problem. See
here<http://www.mobitrends.com/2008/12/03/opensim-on-amazon-ec2/>
.

Right now, EC2 cannot smoothly throttle as it is still tied to the "number
of CPUs and quantity of RAM" paradigm. However, this limitation may be
removed in the future allowing a virtual world to efficiently scale from 100
participants to virtually unlimited.

Such scaleability would also support photorealism ...

Cheers

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 11:45 PM, Dzonatas <dzonatas at dzonux.net> wrote:

>  Slashdotted: http://games.slashdot.org/games/09/01/10/011250.shtml
>
> "[cloud computing] *...allows you to render 3D visuals in your browser via
> streaming, compressed online data"*
>
> I think that reveals how OTOY, maybe brought up on this list a while back,
> was able to render its multiverse: http://www.otoy.com/site/start.htm

Best Regards,
Doug

sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
-- Galileo Galilei