[Opensim-dev] MXPClient?

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 23 03:37:25 UTC 2009

Frisby, Adam wrote:
> It's a new protocol being pitched as a standard for VW's. No, it's not required for Rex (they don't use it [although are discussing it]). Re: functionality- that kind of thing is fine. If it compiles we'll treat it as working. If things break, then there's potential either myself or Tommi will submit a patch to fix it up.
>
> I wrote a blog post about it here: http://www.adamfrisby.com/blog/2009/02/compatibility/

Thanks for the information.

> Melanie can probably elucidate a little as to why it's good for us to have a couple of IClientAPI's in core - namely that it helps prevent monoculture in naming schemas and flow.

Yeah, I understand that and I don't disagree.

Of course, if we really want a level playing field we could say the same thing about the Second Life protocol (i.e. if
someone makes a change for the MXP protocol then they are under no obligation to make sure that the SL stack still works
beyond the fact that it passes the tests run in the continuous integration (Bamboo) system).